Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Getting Ready for the Winter

We decided to try our hand at canning this year. In June I got this crazy idea that I would do some freezer jam, but as always got a little over excited this year and over did it with the strawberries. I bought 3 flats and by the time I got into my second flat I was so over strawberries, I did not want to see another one ever! My family laughed and wanted to know what we were going to do with all that freezer jam... they sure haven't had a hard time eating the jam :)
Last week David went to one of the local farms and got corn and peaches. The kids thought is was fun to shuck the corn, but they sure didn't like the mess they had to clean up afterwards. My dad helped by watching the corn on the stove, needless to say we picked a very hot day to do so... he is just a great sport about our wild ideas. David and I peeled peaches until we couldn't peel any more. I think we may have eaten as many peaches as we canned. Needless to say our tummy's were a little upset a few days later. They sure were really good peaches.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I love this. It is such an awesome feeling to have some storage. Way to go! Actually looks like a fun family event.